Permits and Licenses


Applications for permits which have an associated review fee will not be processed until the Borough is in receipt of the fee in the form of a check or money order. To avoid any delays in processing your application, please check your application to make sure all requested information is provided, that you have signed and dated the application, and that the associated fee has been included or sent to the Borough of Gettysburg. If you have questions on how to complete an application please contact the Director of Planning, Zoning, and Code Enforcement, John Whitmore at 717-334-1160 X 224 or send an email to

The following applications may be submitted by mail, or dropped off in our secure drop box on the porch of our main entrance (looks like a black mail box at the top of the steps).  They can also be submitted via email at

Borough of Gettysburg
Attn: Permits & Licenses
59 East High Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325

Payment must be made via check or money order payable to "Borough of Gettysburg".

Land Use Permit

This permit is required for all proposed projects within the Borough. A Land Use Application helps us learn about your project by providing basic information such as the address, the current use and planned use, the scope of work for the proposed action, and what additional review and/or approvals might be needed to successfully complete your project.  As of 2023, the Land Use, Certificate of Appropriateness, Fence, and Non-UCC building permit applications have all been consolidated onto the revised Land Use Application.  

Applications can be submitted by email to

Please include the following with your submission:

  • Land Use Application (Fee: $40.00)
  • Simple plot plan showing location of improvement(s) and distances to property lines if exterior work is proposed.  This can be sketched over a satellite image of your property, just be sure to include measurements.
  • Detailed description of the proposed action, including current and proposed use, and current and proposed materials if physical improvements are proposed.
  • If the property is located in the Historic District, refer to the Certificate of Appropriateness information and checklist below.


If your estimated project cost is $4,000.00 or more you must also apply for an Adams County Property Improvement Permit with the Tax Assessor's Office. Submit the completed application, along with associated fee to Adams County at the address located at the bottom of the form.

Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)

Any proposed alterations to properties located in the Gettysburg Historic District must be granted a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) before work may begin.  COA applications have been consolidated with the Land Use Application (above) as of 2023, but please refer to our COA Application Checklist for submission requirements.  Learn more about the COA review process here

Questions about the COA application or process can be directed to Debra English at

Building Permits

The Borough of Gettysburg administers and enforces the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) with the assistance of our colleagues at the Pennsylvania Municipal Code Alliance (PMCA). After receiving a Land Use-Working Permit from the Borough Planning Department, applications for projects requiring UCC permits are forwarded to PMCA for plan review and inspection(s). Projects exempt from UCC permits are processed in-house by the Planning Department.  Applications must be accompanied by a Land Use application, and can be submitted to

Residential Building Permit Applications

All residential work requires a Land Use Permit in addition to: 

UCC Building Permit Includes projects involving HVAC, pools, plumbing, framing, footers, stairs, and other structural projects.
Non-UCC Building Permit - Use Consolidated Land Use Application (Fee: $10 for each thousand dollars value of improvement up to $10,000 in improvements)
Demolition (Fee: $25)

Commercial Building Permit Applications 

All commercial work requires a Land Use Permit in addition to:
Commercial Building 
Commercial Demolition
Minimal Commercial Re-roof

Certificates of Use & Occupancy

Every UCC project requires a Certificate of Occupancy to as the final step to document that the space complies with all applicable building codes and is safe to occupy. This applies to both residential and commercial properties, new construction, and additions. Even if no alterations are planned, any change in use or possession by a new commercial occupant still requires a Certificate of Occupancy. 

Certificate of Occupancy Packet 

Not sure if you need a new Certificate of Use & Occupancy? File a Request for Determination

Regulated Rental Unit Occupancy (RRUO)

All residential rental units in Gettysburg Borough are regulated by the Rental Unit Occupancy Ordinance, subject to annual licensure and periodic inspection for compliance with the Property Maintenance Code. RRUO licenses are non-transferrable. Notification must be received by the Borough within fifteen (15) days of any change in tenant occupancy.  Regulated Rental applications can be submitted to

Rental Unit Inspection (Fee: $80 per unit, $100 re-inspection)

Short-Term Rentals

"Airbnb" has become a generic term for what the Borough of Gettysburg refers to as "short-term rentals". Advertised on a number of websites including VRBO, HomeAway, Home To Go, and others this category of lodging includes both owner/proprietor-occupied dwellings where a portion of one's personal residence is rented for compensation (homestays) as well as dwellings that are rented out where the owner lives in a separate dwelling unit or offsite (vacation rentals).

In order to legally operate your short-term rental a Land Use Permit and Certificate of Use & Occupancy is required. Please submit the following items either by email to or by mail/ hand delivery to Borough of Gettysburg Administrative Offices, 59 E. High Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325.

More information about lodging requirements can be found here.

Signs & Banners

Signs and banners are regulated by the Gettysburg Sign Ordinance. If located in the Historic District, a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is also required.  Sign and Banner Permit applications must be submitted with a Land Use Permit application (see above).  Questions about sign permits and requirements can be directed to

Banner Permit Application (Fee: $0.00 + Land Use Application fee $40.00) 
Sign Permit Application (Fee: $25.00 for each sign + Land Use Application fee $40.00)

Stormwater Management

This permit is required for all proposed projects within the Borough with new impervious improvements of 800 Square feet or less. This is for minor construction projects which do not exceed 800 square feet of new impervious surface.   This includes, pools, decks, sidewalks, stone walkways, gravel or asphalt parking pads, anything that does not allow water infiltration.     

Please submit the following with your completed Land Use application (above):

  • Minor Storm Water Application (Fee: $25.00)

  • Proposal/estimate describing complete scope of work,

  • Simple plot plan showing all existing impervious, to include all structures, garages, sidewalks, decks, etc;  and  location of NEW improvement(s), distances to property lines, dimensions of all work to be completed and drainage flow patterns from new structures (SEE site plan example).

All construction or site work with new impervious improvements greater than 800 square feet require engineered plans to be submitted to the Borough for review.  The fee for a Major Stormwater Permit is $50.00. 

Questions about the Stormwater application can be directed to Debra English at

Streets & Sidewalks

Highway Occupancy Permit (HOP) / Street Excavation Permit 

Subdivision & Land Development

By authority of the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC), the Borough of Gettysburg has enacted and enforces a Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (SALDO), administered by the Planning Commission.  

Subdivision & Land Development Application (Fee: $500 minor subdivision/land development, $1,000 major)

SALDO Modification Application Form

Zoning Certification

Information about a property’s zoning, such as what district(s) it is located in, what uses are permitted in that district, etc. can be found using our searchable Interactive Zoning Map or our Zoning Ordinance.

If you require an official zoning certification about a property’s zoning or permitted uses, for example, if you are looking to sell or purchase a property and want confirmation that it is located in a district that permits Vacation Rentals, you can submit a Minor Zoning Certification Application (Fee: $40).

Zoning Hearing Board

By authority of the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC), the Borough of Gettysburg has enacted and enforces a Zoning Ordinance, administered by the Zoning Officer. Property owners seeking a special exception or variance may apply for a hearing to petition for relief. Learn more about the Zoning Hearing Board here.  

Application to Gettysburg Borough Zoning Hearing Board Special Exception / Variance/Appeal (Fee: $1,000)

Business Permits/Licenses

Unless otherwise stated, applications for licenses below can be submitted by mail, drop off, or by emailing Applications which have an associated review fee will not be processed until the Borough is in receipt of the fee in the form of a check or money order. To avoid any delays in processing your application, please check your application to make sure all requested information is provided, that you have signed and dated the application, and that the associated fee has been included or sent to the Borough of Gettysburg.

Amusement License Fee: $50.  
Amusement Admissions Tax Report Form This form is remitted monthly to Tammy Murdorf.  Questions can be directed to  
Fireworks Display - Commercial ONLY / Fire Prevention Permit (Also requires Land Use Permit Application & $40 Land Use application fee) 
Guided Walking Tour (Fee: $300) 
Horse Drawn Carriage License (Fee: $350 per carriage with up to six passengers / $425 per carriage with more than six passengers) 
Outdoor Dining Permit (Fee: $100 Flat Rate + $4.25/sq. ft.) 
Special Event Permit (Fee: $30 per event) 
Solicitation License (Fee: $36) ONLINE PERMITTING AVAILABLE HERE.
Transient Retail Permit / Application (Fee: $55 Daily / $200 Monthly / $600 Yearly / $25 Daily Pushcart per cart / $100. Monthly per cart / $300 Yearly per cart) ONLINE PERMITTING AVAILABLE HERE.
Yard Sale Permit  (Fee:$10 per event)  ONLINE PERMITTING AVAILABLE HERE.