In Honor of Our Fallen - County of Adams

Thin blue line

Chief of Police Charles Roche, Abbottstown/Hamilton Police Department

End of Watch: Saturday, March 5, 1977

Chief Roche was killed when he was struck by a drunk driver while working  an accident scene on Pine Run Road. He was retrieving flares from the trunk of his unmarked vehicle when the driver struck him. Chief Roche was transported to Hanover Hospital where he died an hour later.

Patrolman James A. Redding, New Oxford Police Department

End of Watch: Sunday, October 22, 1978

Patrolman James Redding was killed in an automobile accident while pursuing a motorcycle. His patrol car went out of control about one mile south of the city and struck a tree on Kohler Mill Road. It is believed that the motorcycle he was pursuing turned off its lights and Patrolman Redding swerved to avoid striking it as he came around a curve. He was transported to Hanover Hospital where he died one hour later.

Sergeant Micheal C. Weigand, Jr., Latimore Township Police Department
End of Watch: Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sergeant Michael Weigand was killed in a motorcycle accident while escorting a benefit ride involving the Blue Knights motorcycle club.  The driver of an oncoming pickup truck lost control on Route 234 and veered into Sergeant Weigand's lane, striking him head-on instantly killing Sergeant Weigand.

Wildlife Conservation Officer David L. Grove, PA Game Commission

End of Watch: Thursday, Noverber 11, 2010
Wildlife Conservation Officer David Grove was shot and killed on Schriver Road, near Red Rocks Road, in Freedom Township, Adams County, at approximately 10:45 pm. Officer Grove was in the area to investigate reports of ongoing night-time shooting and poaching. He had stopped a suspected poacher just south of Gettysburg National Military Park. As he handcuffed the man a struggle ensued and the subject opened fire on Officer Grove with a .45 caliber handgun, striking him four times. Although mortally wounded, Officer Grove was able to return fire, wounding the suspect in the hip. The suspect fled the scene with the handcuffs still on his left wrist. The suspect, who was a convicted felon, was captured the following morning at a nearby hunting camp and charged with Officer Grove's murder. He stated that he shot Officer Grove because he didn't want to return to prison. On October 2, 2012, the subject was convicted of first degree murder and subsequently sentenced to death.