How to Apply:
Complete and return the Employment Application by clicking here.
Return application to:
Sara Stull, Borough Secretary
59 East High Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325
or email Sara Stull with attachments by clicking here.
Applications accepted until position is filled. First review of candidates will occur on Monday, January 15, 2018.
This position is routine unskilled maintenance work involving the care, cleaning, and maintenance of the Borough’s several office facilities, with primary responsibility being the Municipal Building, followed by the Racehorse Alley Garage interior rooms and the Maintenance Shed (a.k.a. Public Works Facility).
An individual in this class of employee may perform a variety of duties requiring moderate to strenuous physical effort with some exposure to uncomfortable working conditions. Examples of jobs include cleaning, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, rest room cleaning, litter control, as well as other duties as may be required and assigned to maintain buildings and grounds in presentable condition.
Work is performed independently in accordance with a well-established routine, and within established rules and regulations governing the operation of the Borough. The employee works under the direction of the Borough Manager, or in their absence, the Borough Secretary. Buildings will be inspected to assure that the proper standards of cleanliness is maintained. The employee may have contact with other Borough offices to resolve problems.
This is a part-time position with a regular daily work schedule and a daily cleaning routine of up to 24 hours per week. Work may be performed during regular business hours, and/or at other times as may be necessary due to building schedules and emergencies. Additionally, this is a Union position subject to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the Borough of Gettysburg and Teamsters Local Union 776.
- Cleaning and maintenance of public areas, office areas, storage areas, rest rooms, or any part of those buildings and grounds which may be assigned including floors, walls, ceilings, windows, doors, furniture, shelves, fixtures, equipment, etc.
- Changes light bulbs.
- Litter control and refuse removal from all areas of the building and grounds.
- Reports necessary repair needs to supervisor as well as makes recommendations for supplies.
- Perform other duties, including those of other classifications (higher or lower) as assigned and/or as conditions warrant. Observes rules and practices on quality of work, personal conduct, and safe, effective and courteous service to the public and community.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor. Note that this employee may from time-to-time be assigned to other departments for cleaning work. Work may be performed during regular business hours and at other times as may be necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
- Ability to learn the materials, practices, and methods used in custodial work.
- Ability to learn the occupational hazards and safety precautions required in maintenance and cleaning work.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction.
- Sufficient physical ability and freedom from disabling defects to lift approximately 25 pounds.
Training and Experience Required
- Completion of high school or its equivalent.
- A willingness to perform work of a physical nature.
- Possession of a valid Class C Pennsylvania vehicle operator’s license and a driving record sufficient to be covered by the Borough’s insurance carrier.
- No record of felony conviction, willingness to submit to a criminal background investigation (this includes mandatory fingerprinting).
|Custodian Job Description - Grade 9 - Revised December 2017||383.91 KB|